Monday, March 28, 2011

In my day...

She smiles, radiant, playful, unmistakable presence, a keen mind used to making a path if one isn’t available, and then pulling along all who wish to come. Confident, most assuredly. When in doubt a small child comes out, hesitant, curious, frustrated with herself for not getting something she knows she’s fully capable of getting, though her body seems to be taking its time with it, having its own way with her. “Educate me”, it says, driven, and she looks off to the side, letting pressure and resistance create imagery in her head, a path, something for her to grasp in a new way. She tests it, plays with its limits, and eases into new thought.

She grins, a little tilt to her head that says she is one-hundred percent mischievous in thought and will. She has an open honesty about her, sometimes direct and unabashed, though given to expression only to those she cares about, or doesn’t care about. Those in-between get a hesitance, an “I’m not sure where you ‘fit’ yet” stirring; externally it displays as a quick glance and thoughtful, almost “disinterested” poise. But internally, she’s working, filtering, analyzing in a way she may not even understand, but intuits accurately. Oh, she’s playful, a sputter of self-effacing laughter parts from her and then turns to cartoon curious, a light plaything to briefly rise above the stress she wholeheartedly put herself gleefully in.

He is loud, oh what an expression, volume limiter broken or never installed. He has a core of joy he can tap into at will, radiating through his body, through the stern sharpness of his experience and out to us as wit and self-humor that spills laughter from us - we simply cannot help it. He captures us, we wait for what he’s going to say next. He has that unique blend of “I am macho…but don’t hurt me.”

His is reserved contemplation, a whole mind full of wisdom-bits collected from the oddest places and then assembled in that mercurial mix of childish wonder and clarity. His gift is his patience, his empathy, his ability to communicate what he knows just how you need it. He is that humble, wise man on top of the mountain contemplating the universe…while watching Zatoichi: The The Blind Swordsman on DVD. 

She is clever as her smile, a warm beauty with a mind troubled by her experiences and steadfast faith that she is where she needs to be, though she may not fully care for it at times. She is dutiful to the cause, though flexes when I am around, something I take note of secretly and appreciate immensely. She has just the right amount of soft edge to prod me, challenge me, at times humor me, and most importantly, respect me, as she does others. Perhaps a little more. She gives of her time and hopes so for the best. She is that touch of care, a warm blanket given from afar…and she might, just might backhand you if you get that blanket dirty. 

These are just some of the important people in my life. My daily existence is populated by their grace and I am fortunate. When they read this, they will know I am have described them accurately, others meeting them, knowing them, will agree I have done them justice. I left out a lot in the descriptions, this is but a small part of their essence, but important, defining. Who wouldn’t want to know them, befriend them? I mention nothing pointless (in this context) like skin color, style of clothing, religion, position in society, wealth, weight. I have described who they are as it matters when we connect. 


It is their value that colors my world.